In this blog, we will share the Alibaba cloud networking Overview.
- Virtual Network is your own logically isolated area within the Alibaba cloud-based SDN (Software Defined Network) technology.
- It provides VLAN level isolation and blocks outer network communications.
- Users can customize their own topology including assigning an IP address, allocating network segment and configuring V-Switches and V-Router.
- Integrate existing Datacentre through dedicated line (or) VPN to form a hybrid cloud. So both on-cloud and off cloud resources can share the same network address scheme.
- In Alibaba cloud networking, VPC adopts the VxLAN protocol.
- Each VPC has assigned an independent Tunnel ID.
- It controls L2 ARP broadcast domains within a single NIC which is similar to VLAN.
USER DEFINED NETWORK
- Users can customize the VPC & Private IP address of ECS instances.
- Customizing the network address can effectively reduce the number of access control rules which can eventually lower the administration cost.
- In the above example VPC topology, There are two zones named Zone A & Zone B in the Mumbai Region.
- There are two instances named Instance 1 and Instance 2 and enclosed with the same V-switch.
- This V-switch is enclosed with VPC using V-Router.
- Another zone named Zone B which has two instances named instance 3 and instance 4.
- These two instances are enclosed with different V-switches.
- VPC can enclose different V-switches from different zones. We can use the V-Router to connect these V-Switches at the same time.
- We can hybrid the customer datacenter with VPC using a VPN (or) dedicated line.
ELASTIC PUBLIC IP (EIP)
- The resources in the VPC are assigned with Internet IP which is only valid inside the VPC.
- If we want to access our ECS resources through the internet, we can buy the instance with EIP.
- Once we purchase the EIP, we can bind to VPC type ECS instances inside the same region.
VPC KEY COMPONENTS
- Virtual Switch is the basic network device of a VPC. It used to connect different cloud product instances in a subnet within a VPC.
- You can assign one (or) more virtual switches inside an availability zone.
- Virtual Router is a hub in the VPC the connects all the virtual switches in the VPC.
- It serves as a gateway device that connects the VPC to other networks.
SECURITY GROUP FEATURES
- The security group is similar to a firewall.
- We can specify one or more firewall rules in a security group including a network protocol, port, and source IP.
- These rules are effective for all instances within the security group.
- Every instance belongs to at least one security group.
- A security group can isolate different users. For example, the instances that belong to different users can be placed in different security groups.
- Each user can have up to 100 security groups. Each group can contain up to 1000 instances.
- A single instance can join up to 5 security groups.
- Each security group will have a maximum of 100 rules.
- Alibaba cloud will create a default security group for each user.
- This security group allows a public internet connection.
Thanks for reading this blog. We hope it was useful for you to learn about the Alibaba cloud networking Overview.