- November 17, 2017
- Posted by: Loges
- Category: Blog, Cloud Computing
Steps to attach a data disk to a Windows Azure VM
In this blog, we will show you the steps to attach a data disk to a Windows Azure VM through the Azure portal.
- Microsoft Azure Subscription.
- Windows VM
ATTACHING DATA DISK
- Log in to the Azure portal https://portal.azure.com using your subscription.
- We have already created a new VM named az-vm-01 with windows 2012 R2 version. Click on the virtual machines link from the service list.
- From the VM List, Click on the vm named az-vm-01.
- Click on the Disks link.
Note: Remember that number of data disks allowed is depend upon your virtual machine instance class (plans)
- Now click on the Add data disk option.
- For this demo, we named the new disk as az-vm-01-datadisk. Source type as New (empty disk). Account type as standard (HDD). Size as 1 GB.
- To select the existing storage, click on the browse button.
- For this demo, we select the existing storage grsstorageaccount01. To learn about creating new storage account, check out this blog https://www.assistanz.com/steps-to-create-a-vm-in-microsoft-azure/
- We have already created a separate container to store VHD files. Select the VHD container and click on Select button.
- To confirm the change, Click OK.
- To attach the data disk, Click on Save option.
- After few seconds the data disk was attached to the VM.
CONFIGURING THE DATA DISK
- Log in to the Azure VM az-vm-01 through RDP. You can find VM IP from the VM overview page.
- Once you logged into the VM, right-click on the start menu and select disk management.
- It prompts us to Initialize Disk, select the disk and click OK.
- To create a new volume, right-click on the disk 2 and select New simple volume.
- It opens a new wizard screen, From the welcome screen click Next.
- Specify the Volume size and click Next.
- Assign a drive letter and click Next.
- Specify a name for this drive, Filesystem type, and select the quick format option. Then click Next.
- Verify the settings and click Finish.
- The new disk is online now.
- Click on start menu and select MY PC.
- You can able to see the newly attached data disk as F: drive.
Thanks for reading this blog. We hope it was useful for you to learned to add a data disk in windows azure VM.